stem summer program application - 2017
***Please note: the application page will open on January 9, 2017***
Admission is competitive, and students of all backgrounds are selected. Students from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. The Summer Program welcomes a diverse cross-section of learners including racial and ethnic minorities, and people from all socioeconomic backgrounds. All students are required to attend the entire program. Students with minor date conflicts are encouraged to apply despite the minor conflicts; our staff will assist participants to facilitate dealing with minor schedule conflicts to ensure they get the most from the program. Students with significant date conflicts, such as missing key days (first two days of safety and experimental planning), are encouraged to delay their application for another year. Please check with our staff to find if your conflicts are only minor.
Important Dates for 2017
January 9 - Application opens
February 10 - Application deadline - has been extended until full
February 28 - Last day of notification of admission - has been extended until full
April 1- Full payment due for accepted students
May 1 - All forms due for accepted students
June 19 - July 11 (first summer program, July 3rd & 4th holiday break)
July 17 - August 4 (second summer program)
August 7 - August 25 (third summer program) CANCELLED!
Eligibility and Selection for the 2017 Summer Programs:
By the fall of 2017 you must be a student in grades 7-12 or a graduating senior. Preference will be given to applicants who:
- show sound academic achievement
- exhibit personal and academic responsibility
- exhibit curiosity of the natural world
- work well either as an individual or in a team
To complete the online application you will need to complete the following 4 steps:
1) Read all Summer STEM Lab Program Policies. You must agree to these policies by checking the 'Agree' box in the Application Form (step 2) below.
2) Accept STEM Lab Program Policies and fill out the Application Form, including choosing a summer program(s) - you may select up to 2 programs only. The application will not allow you to save the form and return to it at a later time. Please prepare all the necessary information ahead of time and submit the application in one sitting.
3) Submit a single .docx or .pdf document (save your document as: "your Last name, First name, -Essay") that contains the following 2 items:
- a) An essay in 500 words or less about why you wish to attend the summer 3-week program(s); and
- b) A list of the Science and Math courses you took in the last 3 years and the grades you received. Do not submit an official transcript.
On the Document --> You MUST include your Last name, First name, and Email address.
In the Subject line of the email, please list in this order --> "Application Form-", your Last name, First Name, and School Name.
4) Payment and Pricing Policy can be viewed by clicking the link below. Your application is not complete until you submit your Application Fee ($25) and Tuition Deposit ($250).
The NHAS is committed to providing this opportunity to any serious student and scholarships are available! Financial aid is available on a case-by-case basis. For more information on financial aid, please contact us by clicking here.
The deadline for application submittal has been extended until full.
Acceptance notification will be made via email on or before March 19, 2017.
Disclaimer: We reserve the right to cancel a program session if warranted by our situation. In that event, you will be given the option to join another summer session or cancel your admission in which case all payments and fees will be refunded within 10-20 days in the form of a check.