stem summer program application - 2018
Summer Program Admission Information
***Please note: the application page opens January 5, 2018***
Admission is competitive, and students of all backgrounds are selected. Students from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. The Summer Program welcomes a diverse cross-section of learners including racial and ethnic minorities, and people from all socioeconomic backgrounds. All students are required to attend the entire program. Students with minor date conflicts are encouraged to apply despite the minor conflicts; our staff will assist participants to facilitate dealing with minor schedule conflicts to ensure they get the most from the program. Students with significant date conflicts, such as missing key days (first two days of safety and experimental planning), are encouraged to delay their application for another year. Please check with our staff to find if your conflicts are only minor.
Important Dates for 2018
January 5 - Application opens.
February 10 - Application review process begins. Applications process remains open until both sessions are filled. Applicants are notified within 14 days of submission.
April 1- Full tuition payment due.
April 30 - All forms due for accepted students.
June 15 - July 6 First summer program (Lab closed July 4th) - this session runs from 8AM until 4PM, Monday through Friday.
July 6 - Formal Research Presentations at Hypertherm, Inc.
July 9 - July 27 Second summer program - this session runs from 8AM until 4PM, Monday through Friday.
July 27 - Formal Research Presentations at Hypertherm, Inc.
Eligibility and Selection for the 2018 Summer Programs:
By the fall of 2018 you must be a student in grades 7-12 or a graduating senior. Preference will be given to applicants who:
- show sound academic achievement
- exhibit personal and academic responsibility
- exhibit curiosity of the natural world
- work well either as an individual or in a team
To complete the online application you MUST complete the following 4 steps:
1) Read all STEM Lab Program Policies. You must agree to these policies by checking the 'Agree' box in the Application Form (step 2) below.
2) Accept STEM Lab Program Policies and fill out the Application Form, including choosing a summer program(s) - you may select up to 2 programs. The application will not allow you to save the form and return to it at a later time. Please prepare all the necessary information ahead of time and submit the application in one sitting.
3) Submit a single .docx or .pdf document (save your document as: "your Last name, First name, -Essay") that contains the following 2 items:
- a) An essay in 500 words or less about why you wish to attend the summer 3-week program(s); and
- b) A list of the Science and Math courses you took in the last 3 years and the grades you received. Do not submit an official transcript.
On the Document --> You MUST include your Last name, First name, and Email address.
In the Subject line of the email, please list in this order --> "Application Form-", your Last name, First Name, and School Name.
Please email your essay and course list to --- NHAcadSci@gmail.com
***Students currently enrolled in our After School Program and returning Summer Program students are NOT required to submit their Student Essay and Course List documents.
4) Payment and Pricing Policy can be viewed by clicking the link below. Your application is not complete until you submit your non-refundable Application Fee ($50) and refundable Tuition Deposit ($250).
The NHAS is committed to providing this opportunity to any serious student and scholarships are available! Financial aid is available on a case-by-case basis. For more information on financial aid, please contact us by clicking here.
Disclaimer: We reserve the right to cancel a program session if warranted by our situation. In that event, you will be given the option to join another summer session or cancel your admission in which case all payments and fees will be refunded within 10-20 days in the form of a check.